2016 marked an historical landmark in Atlas Copco South Africa’s history as it celebrated 70 years of conducting business in South Africa as part of the Atlas Copco Group.
The company’s success story in South Africa dates back some 124 years when in 1892 two brothers established a manufacturing company called Gebroeders Delfos (Delfos Brothers). The Pretoria-based company manufactured a variety of goods including printer process blocks and electric lighting plants, but became renowned for its Delfos Jackhammer which steered the business into specialising in spare parts for rock drills.
In 1936 Delfos moved to Benoni which in those years represented the core of South Africa’s mining industry. A decade later Delfos formed an alliance with Swedish company AB Atlas Diesel and in 1956 Delfos Ltd. became Delfos & Atlas Copco (Pty) Ltd. Over the next 36 years the business grew to 375 employees with nine branches located throughout the country.
Fast forward to 2016, Atlas Copco South Africa (Pty) Ltd. is a market leader in providing customers with sustainable productivity solutions by supplying world-class mining, construction and industrial equipment and systems backed by specialist service support. The company employs more than 1000 people and its extensive footprint stretches across the country.
Speaking on behalf of management and staff, Frans van Niekerk, Vice President Holdings – Atlas Copco Sub-Sahara region, expresses extreme pride in achieving this milestone. “Not only is it confirmation of doing the right things well in the successful delivery of sustainable productivity solutions but it also signifies our steadfast commitment to South Africa, our customers, suppliers as well as our employees.”