Ford Kugas around SA have been recalled to check if they are fully operational. Picture: Supplied.

Ford Kugas around SA have been recalled to check if they are fully operational. Picture: Supplied.

This week saw an influx of Ford Kugas making their way back to dealerships across South Africa.

At the beginning of the week the car maker announced that it was recalling all Ford Kuga Eco Boost vehicles that were manufactured between 2012 and 2014. Ford said this was to ensure that the vehicles’ engines were operating properly.

By midweek, 1,200 courtesy cars had been distributed to Ford Kuga owners and the standard R1,500 deposit on courtesy cars was waived.

Ford said it was expecting at least 4,500 cars to be brought back by the end of this week.

On Wednesday, Ford SA CEO Jeff Nemeth told Radio 702 that dealerships have had a very good response.

“We were able to handle most of the customers,” Nemeth said. “There were some isolated dealerships that had quite a few people come in at a very short amount of time‚ and I apologise that they weren’t able to handle those quickly.”

The decision was made to recall the Kuga model after a meeting between Ford executives and NCC lawyers last Friday.

This meeting was the result of a considerable number of complaints being made to the National Consumer Commission (NCC) from Kuga owners whose vehicles had caught fire.

What amplified concerns about the vehicle’s engine was the death of Reshall Jimmy in 2015. Jimmy died due to a fire that broke out in his Ford Kuga. Nemeth however said that this incident was not related to an engine fire.

The Jimmy family has announced that it will file a class action lawsuit against Ford.